With the current situation with Covid 19, people are now expected to wear a mask everywhere. It is also undeniably observed that people are not comfortable removing their masks while in public places, this raises a problem with the Apple ID facial recognition.
An Apple spokesman said that “The Face ID is designed to work with your eyes, nose and mouth visible. Users can still unlock their devices while wearing a mask by entering their passcode”
Given this situation, Apple has worked to update and see what they can do to remedy the issue. This practice involves setting up the biometric system while wearing half a mask. Below is how you can do it.
- Go to “Settings” and click “Face ID & Passcode”
- You can “Reset your Face ID or you may opt to create a new face ID as an “Alternate Appearance”
- Once you’ve clicked either Reset Face ID or Alternate Appearance, you may now wear your mask but fold it in half. You may get a notification saying “Face Obstructed” please move the mask gradually away from the centre of your face. Do this until it asks you to move your head slowly to complete the circle. This process is a trial and error, you will need to be very patient until you succeed.
- Now your Face ID should be set up.
- The last thing to do is to test if it works, put on your full mask to unlock your Iphone.
This is very helpful especially that using a passcode to unlock your Iphone is something that people don’t usually do nowadays since the Face ID is introduced. Again, this process may take some time to do and patience is required.